5 Must Know Tips If You Want To Avoid Failure in SEO
Are you wondering why your SEO strategies are failing?
As an experienced webmaster or SEO expert, you might have gone through all the possible techniques of SEO. However, you are at the risk of failing in SEO, if you are not aware of the best tips & tricks. Many webmasters and business owners believe that SEO is an easy task. However, creating optimized content and a few high-quality backlinks won’t work well.
Moreover, with the increasing number of changes to Google updates and other search engine algorithms, it can be a difficult task to stay updated with the current SEO practices.
No matter how well you do SEO, you will want to avoid basic SEO mistakes. I learnt a lot in my profession, and there are a few mistakes I would like to warn you about. I have hit some potholes. After a lot of research and learning, I have found out some of the essential qualities to avoid failure in SEO. I stopped believing SEO Myths and followed a proven plan to drive quality traffic.
Here is a look at the common mistakes in SEO and tips to avoid failure in SEO.
- Don’t forget technical SEO
Technical SEO is a very important part of SEO that tends to be left out. Given all the attention to new search engine ranking signals, I believe that it is a great time to remind you of the technical SEO.
The first and foremost aspect of getting right SEO is to ensure that you have covered everything technically. Whether it is hosting content on a reliable CMS or enhancing the structure of site, you should follow technical strategies.
Unfortunately, many SEO experts spend their time focusing on shoddy work. If the technical aspects of SEO are handled correctly, it means you are already in the right path…….
Go through the below checklist to know if you are handling the technical aspects correctly or not-
- Webmaster tools – Analyzing page load time will have a strong impact on the usability of your website. This in can affect the SEO of your website. Look for 404 errors etc.
- Duplicate content – Check for duplicate content on your website as it raises a red flag for search engines. Duplicate content may look as if you are trying to manipulate or trick the search engines saying the same thing. A technical SEO audit can help you identify and rectify duplicate content issues. Many website owners make the mistake of ignoring Meta Descriptions and custom title tags, due to which the web development platform fills it automatically. This will result in repeated title tags and Meta descriptions, leads to ‘Red Flag’.
- Link analysis – Link Analysis is another important aspect of SEO that should be taken care of. The quality of link profile has become very important, especially after Penguin 4. 0 update. You should lookout for link exchanges, hidden links, paid links, links in blog networks, and links to unrelated sites and so on. You should also take a look on competitor’s backlinks and uncover any missed link building opportunities.
- Sitemaps – Development and implementation of site maps is another important technical aspect of technical SEO. Sitemaps not only make site navigation easier, but is a better way to communicate with search engines. You can be sure of indexing your website quickly and make the changes (if any) identifiable by using sitemaps.
- Robots.txt – Another technical aspect to consider is Robots.txt files that instruct search engines about your website. Usually, a robot visits your website URL and finds certain information, and tells search engines how to proceed.
With so many things in technical SEO, it is easy to ignore the basics. Bit, it is really worth focusing on the new factors of technical SEO.
- Don’t forget on-page
Many people who are just starting a blog or entering into the field of SEO might not know what exactly SEO is and how to implement it. What people know about SEO is Search Engine Optimization that helps your website rank high on search engine results.
However, there is a lot in SEO. Basically, it is split into two separate categories – on-page SEO and off-page SEO. On-Page SEO refers to the things that you can do on your website to achieve higher ranking. In today’s competitive world, On-page SEO is very important as help you increase ranking on search engines. Here are a few things you need to focus more about On-page SEO.
- Page title – Page titles are the one of the most important factors on your site. Whatever is the niche or category of your website, it should have its own title along with the main keyword. Your website will have a better chance of showing up on search engine results.
- Meta description – Meta description is another important factor where you can include relevant keywords for your content. It would be highly beneficial to use relatively short descriptions, while including specific keyword.
- Internal links – Internal links can enhance the popularity of your website, if used properly. But, you need to place links to other website pages to improve your website. There are a number of methods that can be used to improve the structure of internal linking structure.
- Image Optimization – Using right images with right ALT tags will definitely improve the SEO of your website. However, many experts ignore adding relevant ALT tags to the images. This will eventually result in a failed SEO campaign.
These are just a few techniques to improve on-page SEO. These tips will make your pages work well and get your site crawled by search engine spiders. It pays to spend some time focusing on the above on-page SEO techniques that improve the visibility of your website.
- Don’t build bad or less useful links
Links can impact your search performance significantly. It can make or break your SEO campaign. Regardless of the techniques you choose, you should be prepared for the consequences of search engine ranking. In a survey, it was found that more than 65% companies do external link building.
It is important to run backlink analysis to pinpoint bad or less useful links. Simply building links will not work, as bad or less useful links may spoil your online reputation. No doubt, good links will have a positive impact on search engine performance. If you want to avoid Google penalties, you should avoid bad or less useful links.
However, bad links are not build purposefully and may be the result of wrong SEO techniques. You can identify bad or less useful links with the help of some signs, such as –
- Server down-time or latency issues
- Bad canonicals
- Massive duplicate content on website
- Your site is hacked with malware
Before you start diagnosing the issues, you should check the links on your site. Here are some proven ways to recover from bad links and get back on Google’s good list of websites.
- Disavow tool – Use Google’s Disavow tool to disassociate your website from low quality websites. This tool can be used by logging into Google webmaster tool, and creating a text file listing all the URLs to discover.
- Penguin-proof – Making your website penguin proof is the best way to protect your website. You can check if your website has been affected by Penguin update.
- Cutting the links – Google penalizes the links based on their pattern. In most of the cases, separating bad links is incredibly tough, as they might be actually helping you. You may have an idea of bad links, but you may not have access to remove them. So, you can remove the page completely – if the links are targeted deep or have low value.
- Avoiding too many links – When it comes to Google, your links should look as natural as possible. Excessive amount of links from same source might red flag your site. Instead of attracting large number of links from same source, you should consider attracting high quality links from 2-3 sources.
- Highly optimized anchor text – Anchor text is the keyword or phrase that users click on to visit the link. If you build too many links using same keywords or phrases, it is considered as shady link building. You can add value to overall content by adding links with genuine anchor text.
Links are certainly the important things that enhance your SEO results, regardless of the way you do. However, with right tools and strategies, you can take your SEO campaign to a different level.
- Don’t forget to track traffic
Everyone talks about ways to increase online traffic. SEO is all about driving quality traffic to your website. However, not many people measure or track the traffic. There are tons of free and paid services that can be used to measure the amount of traffic.
Tracking the amount of traffic is crucial in SEO, as this is the only way that tells you whether your efforts are paying off or not. I usually check the statistics of my website on a daily basis to see what is going on. Creating detailed report of every month’s traffic seems to be slow and frustrating. But, you will definitely see the improvements as your SEO campaign grows. Here are some ways to track the traffic of your website –
- Google analytics – Google analytics is one of the best SEO tools that help you track the traffic of your website. You can track your marketing at a glance using Google Analytics. You will get detailed data in an easy, well organized and clear to understand way.
- Web-Stat – Web-stat is another best tool to track the traffic. It will alert you via email or SMS. You can customize the content based on the number of visitors from any particular geographical origin.
- Alexa – Alexa is one of the widely used website traffic tracking sites. It involves lot of clicks to get the desired results. However, it gives proven results. You can browse through a lot of stats to know the traffic to your website.
- Whoisvisiting.com – Whoisvisiting.com helps to find out what companies have been viewing your website and prospect them.
Take time to track and review the statistics of your website. The more you know about the traffic patterns of your website, the more successful your SEO campaign will be.
- Don’t ignore multi-device SEO
We live in a multi-device world, where people search for information from across different devices. You are losing a great opportunity, if you are focus to improve the visibility, traffic and conversions solely for desktop users. You would probably be staying behind your competitors and get disconnected with your audience, if you ignore multi-device SEO.
According to a survey, 79% of mobile actions trigger additional conversions. Many SEO experts have an issue that they are still not making the most out their SEO efforts, despite of making it for multiple-devices.
Being in a rush to hit the mobile market, you could have made some mistakes and sacrificed your sales processes. There has been a lot of talk on how to increase web searches via mobile devices and use SEO effectively on multi-devices.
Here are some ways to generate positive results from multi-device SEO.
- Depending too much on multi-device SEO – Responsive web design has become an important aspect. However, you should not treat it as an ultimate action to improve the performance of your website. Use responsive design, but don’t expect it to take care of everything. Take time to figure out what elements are important for mobile users and display them properly.
- Don’t ignore multi-device tracking – Today, users use a variety of devices. Some people use tablet, smartphones and even laptops on a regular basis to browse information. If you are tracking conversions only on one type of device, then you are missing critical opportunities to convert visitors into leads. You should employ multi-device tracking on a wide range of devices and not just one.
- Insisting on navigation – Different screen sizes need different kind of navigation. It is a mistake to insist consistency of different payouts of a website. The best way is to make color treatments, typefaces and button labels consistent.
- Combat high bounce rate – High bounce rate is usually taken negatively by search engines. If the user leaves you website within a few minutes after arriving, Google considers it as irrelevant content. This is the biggest frustrating issue for SEO. By using responsive design, you can solve this problem and present the content in functional way.
SEO is all about achieving goals. Remember that as you develop your site using different SEO strategies, your competitors will also be working hard. Implement the best SEO tactics in responsive websites to make most out of your efforts.
Take time to go through each recommendation and enhance the result of your SEO. Don’t get obsessed over hitting the target, but make sure that you do everything to enhance the performance of your SEO strategies.
SEO is not about just a few tricks and techniques, but is a long term strategy. It’s time to look back the gimmicks you tried till now to see if they actually worked. SEO is ever changing, and you must adapt your strategy according to the current trend.
Always try to implement the best SEO practices. You can optimize your website with the best SEO strategy following the above tips to ensure that you are seen online. There are hundreds of little things that make big difference.
If I have missed any of the best SEO tips, add your insights in comment!
Don’t forget to share this post, if you found it useful.
January 18, 2017
January 11, 2017
December 28, 2016